Recovery & Regeneration: Integrated Structural Body Work (ISBW) & Other Means
Defining of Recovery & Regeneration
The psychological, social & physical restoration of the body from the physiological stress response, following a bout of activity, to enhance overall performance.
Self-sustained Injuries should not be a part of sports, hence we help lay the foundation of generalized athletic conditioning, that later leads to more complex movements, & along the way manage the predictability of injuries, so the athlete can maintain a relatively injury free career. Decreasing injury potential takes away energy that is being inefficiently utilized and puts it back into the athlete’s system, thereby increasing performance. Only then can more complex movements be entertained.
Science has known of the body’s ability to repair itself for centuries. The challenge has been how to encourage and guide the repair process using natural, non-intrusive methods. The System has developed a multi stage approach encompassing ISBW to help the body naturally heal from injuries.
ISBW has been shown to significantly improve healing time when combined with other methods including osteopathy, cupping, and Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Release (IASTR).
Osteopathy & Structural Body Work – is a form of soft tissue technique that emphasizes manual re-adjustments to release muscle tissue, bones & myofascia, that efficiently re-align global posture
Other self-regeneration methods:
- Cupping – involves placing ‘cups’ on specific body areas, that adhere to the skin via suction, in order to facilitate increased blood flow
- Gua-Sha – is a form of soft tissue technique in which a sterile object is used to ‘scrape’ the skin in order to promote blood flow & ‘breakdown’ superficial soft tissue adhesions
While usually not life threatening, concussions are still a serious injury. Resulting from a blow or jolt to the head or by a hit to the body that causes the head and brain to move rapidly back and forth; a concussion can result in chemical changes in the brain and sometimes stretched and damaged brain cells.
Symptoms can include:
- Anxiety and depression
- Balance and dizziness disorders
- Difficulty concentrating
- Difficulty looking at phones and computer screens
- Digestive disturbances (including food intolerances)
- Difficulty concentrating or thinking clearly
- Blurred vision
- Insomnia and/or fatigue
- Intolerance to crowded environments, like shopping malls and events
- Light and sound sensitivity
- Loss of gaze fixation
- Memory problems
- Nausea &/or vomiting
For most concussions, physical and mental rest are the best medicine for the first 10 days. After that, come therapy can be introduced to aid in the healing. The System has developed a unique program to help manage the symptoms associated with concussions.
Participation in the Concussion Management program takes between (1-3) to (5-6) months, depending upon the nature of the concussion. It starts with weekly visits, working towards six-week intervals. The goal is to have the athlete regain mental focus, have more energy, and return to their sport sooner.
- Related symptoms are identified through a questionnaire and third party testing.
- Triggers that can worsen symptoms or lead to further damage are identified.
- A custom program is designed.
Management will include home-based exercises combined with deep tissue massages and mild osteopathic work. Diet will also be examined and adjusted in order to further manage symptoms. Studies have shown certain foods can increase or decrease inflammation. The goal is to have the athlete on an anti-inflammatory diet.
Third party concussion testing will measure the severity of the symptoms compared to the beginning of the program. Depending on the progress the athlete has made, the program may end or some additional sessions may be suggested.
Benefits of ISBW
- “3–D” breathing (i.e. expansion of the chest cavity in all directions & from all areas, giving a sensation of deeper & easier breathing)
- Stimulates & soothes digestion
- Lowers blood pressure
- Lubricates joints easing stiffness & increasing range of motion
- Breaks down scar tissue
- Lengthens the spine
- Enhances recovery from traumatic experiences
- Improves Sleep Quality
- Greater balance
- Increases proprioception & Increases sensation of “feeling lighter” & Increases body sensory awareness (feeling of your feet ‘firmer’ to the ground)
- Balances Anabolic hormones
- Boosts your immune system
- Increases flexibility & strength
- Improves postural alignment (i.e. feeling more upright & appearance of being slimmer & taller)
- Improves athletic performance
- Improves muscle firing patterns
- Stimulates the elimination of toxins ‘trapped’ between tight tissue via the stimulation of increased circulation of lymph
- Eases mental tension by calming the nervous system
- Reduces fatigue & exhaustion
- Increases mobility
- Alleviates chronic pain due tight muscles
Since ISBW touches every system of the body, it is also essential to inform us of any existing health conditions so that we can modify your session appropriately